Super Sunday

Ok, I'm a little behind on this, but better late than never. 
 
Every Sunday I try and make a pretty big meal.  I try and do it homemade, and from a recipe, and healthy.  Try. 
 
Last Sunday.. I was lazy.  I knew I wanted to make something that only required some prep, then some waiting/doing nothing time.  I had some beets from the Farmers Market that I needed to use up, some kale that I also needed to use (Sunday can also be known as the "use it up or throw it out day"), a ham steak from the freezer, and I was set.  
 
Besides rinsing and stemming the kale, I just threw it in a little sauce pan with a little water in the bottom and let it steam.  After the water comes to a boil, just put it on simmer for about 20-25 minutes.  I like mine very soft, so less time if you like yours a little more crisp.  
 
With the beets, I cut the greens off (you can steam them too if you like, unless you wait too long and they get wilted, like I did :-/ ), peal them and slice them into about a 1" slices.  Then I put them on a pan all flat and drizzled them lightly with olive oil and sprinkled them with sea salt.  Popped those bad boys in the oven on 350 for about 30min, and OH. MY. GOD. Soooo good. 
 
 
The ham steak is about the easiest thing in the universe to cook, since it's already cooked.  They're my go-to on lazy days like today.  Besides just defrosting it in the microwave, just put it in a frying pan on medium-high heat and it only needs about 3 minutes on each side, or until it's warmed up to your liking. 
 
I always like to try mixing my food, so I tried a bite with the beets and kale together.  Wow.  Party in my mouth.  The sweetness of the beets and the bitterness of the kale was amazing.
 
 
Such an easy dinner, and pretty healthy I might add.  Score.

Comments

Popular Posts